Florian Menzel - trumpet (DE)
Uli Kempendorff - sax (DE)
Uri Gincel - piano (IL)
Yonatan Levy - bass (IL)
Peter Gall - drums (DE)
Herbie Hancock helped to redefine the role of a jazz rhythm section and was one of the primary architects of the post-bop sound. He was one of the first jazz musicians to embrace synthesizers and funk music. Hancock's music is often melodic and accessible; he has had many songs "cross over" and achieve success among pop audiences.
on this night the quintet will tribute and celebrate Herbie's jazz compositions and favourite songs, through his early career, his time with the miles quintet and as a band leader.
- Despite his young age trumpeter and composer Florian Menzel, born in Arnsberg in the Sauerland region in Germany in 1988, has already reached remarkable experience and success in the world of music. In 2007 he was awarded the „SkodaJazzAward“ by the German Jazz Federation for his outstanding instrumental skills and 2 years later won the first prize at the „Yamaha Trumpet Contest 2009“. Further during his studies at the Jazz Institute Berlin (JIB) he was awarded the „Savoy Award of Excellence 2011“ for his extraordinary musical and social contribution.
As a band leader and sideman he has been working with among others Peter Weniger, Mark Wyand, Rich Perry, Winard Harper, Greg Cohen, Torsten Goods, Till Broenner, Gerard Presencer and Bill Forman.
- Uli Kempendorff, Born in Berlin in 1981, studied saxophone and improvisation at the HfM »Hanns Eisler« in Berlin and in New York at the City College. Kempendorff's work is documented on one and a half dozen CDs and records, including four of his own productions with the "Uli Kempendorffs Field" with Christopher Dell, Jonas Westergaard and Peter Bruun and two with "Yellow Bird". In addition to these own projects, Uli Kempendorff has been active in groups with Ulrich Gumpert, Benjamin Weidekamp, Markus Pesonen, Julia Hülsmann, Mike Pride, Christian Weber, Rolf Kühn, 'Little' Jimmy Scott and Pablo Held. From 2010-2018 he curated and directed two concert series in Berlin and a festival in Poland. Concerts have taken him through many European countries, Africa, Mexico, Canada and the USA.
- Uri Gincel was born in Tel-Aviv in 1981 and showed a remarkable gravitation towards music, at age 15 he started playing piano and since then has been touring and recording music,today Gincel is one of the most in demand and respected Jazz pianists in Berlin. Uri´s style can be described as heavily rooted in tradition but with sensibility and understanding of bringing jazz into the modern age. His playing is dynamic, lyrical and above full of energy and power! Born in Tel-Aviv, Gincel came to Berlin in 2009 and quickly became an influential part of the Jazz scene, Uri toured the world with many projects, including "Uri Gincel Trio” and “Bonaparte” and studied under some major musicians as Arnie Lawrence and Walter Blending Jr.
- Yonatan Levi is a 29-year-old musician born in Tel-Aviv, Israel. Displaying musical tendencies since infancy, he was sent to an esteemed school of arts between ages 6-16, growing within the music, He was later honored a full scholarship to the prestigious Berkley College of Music. In 2006 he moved to New York City and immersed himself in the New York Jazz world, Levi is currently based in Berlin, Germany, but is constantly on the road between Europe, the US and Israel.
- Peter Gall is a drummer and composer, living in Berlin. He was born 1983 in Bad Aibling (south of Germany). Peter studied drums with John Riley, John Hollenbeck and composition with Phil Markowitz, Dave Liebman, Jim McNeely and holds a diploma from the University of the Arts / Jazz Institute Berlin He lived in New York for 2 years based on a DAAD-Scholarship and graduated with a Master Of Music from Manhattan School of Music Peter Gall shared the stage with Kurt Rosenwinkel Trio, NDR Big Band, The New York Voices, Roberto DiGioia’s Web Web, Thomas Quasthoff Quartett, Nils Landgren, Max Herre, Tony Lakatos, Seamus Blake
Beginn 21:15 Uhr( Einlass 20:00 Uhr)
Eintritt frei – Beitrag erwünscht
One of the reasons that makes the zig zag jazz club so unique is that it is the first and only jazz club in the world that manages to finance world class events through a crowd funding concept. How do we do it? Its quite simple… during the break of the concert we make an announcement regarding the collection for the evening. For most concerts (excluding the jam session) we inform our customers that a fee of around 15€ per person will allow us to fairly compensate the musicians. Some people give more and some give less… and that´s ok… we ´ve already successfully promoted hundreds of concerts like this!!!
Einer der Gründe, die den Zig Zag Jazzclub so einzigartig machen, ist, dass er der erste und einzige Jazzclub der Welt ist, dem es gelingt nur durch freiwilligem Eintritt/Crowdfunding Events von Weltklasse zu finanzieren. Und wie machen wir das? Ganz einfach. Während der Konzertpause geben wir bekannt, dass wir Geld einsammeln werden. Bei den meisten Konzerten (außer Jam Sessions) informieren wir unsere Kunden, dass ein Beitrag von ungefähr 15 Euro es uns erlaubt die Musiker gerecht zu bezahlen. Manche geben dabei mehr und andere weniger... und das ist auch in Ordnung. Wir haben auf diese Weise schon Hunderte Konzerte organisiert.